Today would have been Austin Scott Chase's 12th birthday. And tomorrow would be Spencer Clark Chase's 12th birthday. It's funny, because I think about them all of the time, even through I never really knew them. I just know they are my sons. I don't know WHY I lost them (well, physically I know why....but I don't know the eternal reasoning behind it), and I don't even really need to know why. The biggest lesson I learned from my experience was that I had to understand that I would never understand it. What I do know was that their short time on earth was a part of Heavenly Father's plan for me...and for them. And I also know that I will have the opportunity to be with them again.
I remember every detail from the time I found out I was pregnant with them until the time we buried them. We found out a few days before Mother's Day that I was pregnant. Isn't that lovely? So fitting. We found out a few weeks later that it was twins.....and a few months later that it was twin boys! I was so excited to be the Queen of the house. I remember every detail of September 20, 1996 when I started having contractions and after three calls to the doctor we finally drove across town to Good Samaritan Hospital. I remember walking in and being led to the very last bed in the triage unit. I remember the look on the nurses face when she realized that I was fully dialated and that I was going to deliever immediately. I remember the panic that washed over Hugh and I as it settled in what exactly that meant. I remember the way they rushed me to a room and tilted my bed so my head was lower than my feet. I remember them pumping me full of drugs that made me get sick. And then I remember the wait. Each minute that went by was a tick tock of hope that maybe I would be able to keep them inside of me. Friday led to Saturday that lead to Sunday that lead to Monday. And Hugh never left my side. My mom said that she witnessed true love when she watched Hugh brush my teeth because I couldn't do it for myself. Monday afternoon my water broke and tini tiny little Austin Scott was born just after 3 pm. He tried to fight, but he was just to tiny and underdeveloped. He looked perfect from the outside, but his insides weren't. I remember the look on my brother's face when he walked in with the nurse holding my son who was so tiny they had to dress him in doll clothes (and I still have them). He died in my arms about 4 hours later surrounded my a few family members and a couple of friends. They kept him in the nursery to await the birth of his brother. We knew it was coming. They tried to keep Spencer inside of me, but all night long I kept feeling him move lower, and lower, and lower. And then, about 4 in the morning, my water broke (exploded, more like it) and he was preparing to make his entrance. I remember being so scared because little Spencer decided to be difficult and he got stuck. A c-section wasn't advised, so the doctor literally "went in" and grabbed him and pulled him out (sorry to be so graphic). He looked so battered, but he made a little peep. I remember that being the only sound I heard come out of either one of them. He hung on for a few hours and then faded away...again in my arms. I remember it all. There were actually some funny moments during these few days....partially because I was so drugged up, and partly because I use humor to ease my pain. I went home shortly after Spencer passed way - I wanted to get out of there!!! I remember coming home to a nursery that I knew would have to come down. I remember finally getting to take a shower, and looking in the mirror at my now deflated tummy and feeling so lonely. I had never felt that kind of loneliness before. That memory still makes me cry. I remember all of the people coming over, bringing food, flowers, asking what they could do. I remember certain people going above and beyond.....the firemen who worked for Hugh so he could take time off, my then brother-in-law Elby stocking our house full of groceries, my mom planning the entire funeral. I remember the funeral and how many people came. And I remember not being able to be anywhere without Hugh. I remember waiting a few months to try again. And I remember on Valentine's Day - a few months later - finding out I was pregnant again. And I remember a few months after that giving birth to two more tiny babies - Courtney & Connor - but these two were big enough to fight. And they did, and are now 11 years old. I remember when they were 11 months old, crawling around on the floor, and me telling Hugh that I was pregnant - AGAIN. And I remember the birth of Caitlin - a whopping 6 pounds 14 ounces. She was the biggest baby I had ever seen!
I remember every detail from the time I found out I was pregnant with them until the time we buried them. We found out a few days before Mother's Day that I was pregnant. Isn't that lovely? So fitting. We found out a few weeks later that it was twins.....and a few months later that it was twin boys! I was so excited to be the Queen of the house. I remember every detail of September 20, 1996 when I started having contractions and after three calls to the doctor we finally drove across town to Good Samaritan Hospital. I remember walking in and being led to the very last bed in the triage unit. I remember the look on the nurses face when she realized that I was fully dialated and that I was going to deliever immediately. I remember the panic that washed over Hugh and I as it settled in what exactly that meant. I remember the way they rushed me to a room and tilted my bed so my head was lower than my feet. I remember them pumping me full of drugs that made me get sick. And then I remember the wait. Each minute that went by was a tick tock of hope that maybe I would be able to keep them inside of me. Friday led to Saturday that lead to Sunday that lead to Monday. And Hugh never left my side. My mom said that she witnessed true love when she watched Hugh brush my teeth because I couldn't do it for myself. Monday afternoon my water broke and tini tiny little Austin Scott was born just after 3 pm. He tried to fight, but he was just to tiny and underdeveloped. He looked perfect from the outside, but his insides weren't. I remember the look on my brother's face when he walked in with the nurse holding my son who was so tiny they had to dress him in doll clothes (and I still have them). He died in my arms about 4 hours later surrounded my a few family members and a couple of friends. They kept him in the nursery to await the birth of his brother. We knew it was coming. They tried to keep Spencer inside of me, but all night long I kept feeling him move lower, and lower, and lower. And then, about 4 in the morning, my water broke (exploded, more like it) and he was preparing to make his entrance. I remember being so scared because little Spencer decided to be difficult and he got stuck. A c-section wasn't advised, so the doctor literally "went in" and grabbed him and pulled him out (sorry to be so graphic). He looked so battered, but he made a little peep. I remember that being the only sound I heard come out of either one of them. He hung on for a few hours and then faded away...again in my arms. I remember it all. There were actually some funny moments during these few days....partially because I was so drugged up, and partly because I use humor to ease my pain. I went home shortly after Spencer passed way - I wanted to get out of there!!! I remember coming home to a nursery that I knew would have to come down. I remember finally getting to take a shower, and looking in the mirror at my now deflated tummy and feeling so lonely. I had never felt that kind of loneliness before. That memory still makes me cry. I remember all of the people coming over, bringing food, flowers, asking what they could do. I remember certain people going above and beyond.....the firemen who worked for Hugh so he could take time off, my then brother-in-law Elby stocking our house full of groceries, my mom planning the entire funeral. I remember the funeral and how many people came. And I remember not being able to be anywhere without Hugh. I remember waiting a few months to try again. And I remember on Valentine's Day - a few months later - finding out I was pregnant again. And I remember a few months after that giving birth to two more tiny babies - Courtney & Connor - but these two were big enough to fight. And they did, and are now 11 years old. I remember when they were 11 months old, crawling around on the floor, and me telling Hugh that I was pregnant - AGAIN. And I remember the birth of Caitlin - a whopping 6 pounds 14 ounces. She was the biggest baby I had ever seen!
I don't know why that chapter of my life played out like that. I do know that if I hadn't lost Austin & Spencer, I defintely wouldn't have had Courtney & Connor, and probably not Caitlin either. And that's all I need to know. Everything happens for a reason. Whatever that reason is. I'm glad I can talk about this and not cry. I'm glad that I can share my experience with others if it can help them. (Heidi...I love you. Hang in there.) I've thought that maybe that's why I went through this - to help others. I don't know. I'm so grateful that I had those two perfect boys here with me, if even only for a little while. I'll see them again one day. That I do know.
Our Family
Spencer Clark





16 Say what?:
love ya, Toni!
you know which part makes me cry? The part about the shower... to this day... I still cry in the shower sometimes. No matter how many days I live on this earth, I will be a mom that is missing... something...
Thanks for being there for me when I needed you... that is another reason why - in my humble opinion, that it happened to you... because now you can be counted as a "first responder" when it happens to somebody else. And you were fantastic for me... and for others, too, I know.
Another year comes and goes... and it doesn't matter... it still hurts
Toni, you and Hugh are my inspiration. I know you have felt every emotion and feeling we have felt and so much more. You have lived through my biggest fear and my greastest desires. You give me hope to move forward and keep trying. Your testimony has made mine grow more than you know. I cried through this entire post. Although I am not the greatest at showing it, your words and thoughts and phone calls have meant so much to me. Sometimes I feel I should just be greattful for what I havent been through. One day the big picture will all make sense. Your boys are beautiful. What a great blessing eternal families are.
Love,
Kim
i cried-
Wow! What a beautiful post. I cried my eyes out. I really cannot imagine going through something like that. You are an amazing woman and you are my hero!!!
Oh my goodness Toni, you totally just made me cry. I love the pictures, they are beautiful... Your sweet boys will be waiting to meet you again someday, what a joyous day that will be. For now, you have 3 beautiful children to take care of and you are such a great mom. I'm so sorry you had to go through that and I am so glad that you have such faith that it happened for a reason. You are a great source of comfort to many others experiencing similar things. Love ya Toni!
I remember vaguely all that happened, but it is totally different hearing it from you. You are such a strong amazing woman and Heavenly Father only gives those kind of obstacles to those he know can handle them. LOVE YOU TONI!
Toni, we got to your blog via Nikki Gonzales. Thank you so much for sharing that touching, yet difficult experience. You've done something for us. You've helped us cherish the gift of our sweet twin girls a bit more. Thank you- Dave and Shelly McKenzie
Did you have to make me cry? Thanks for sharing though ... I love you!
I remember those days too and when your mom told me that she had witnessed true love. It was all bitter sweet and very spiritual. To have celestial children is a blessing and a reason to live worthy to see them again. I love you.
All I can say is thanks so much for putting yourself out there and sharing it--you are such a strong woman. I admire you. I honestly had no idea that you'd been through such a challenge but again I appreciate your willingness to share it.
YOU ARE AMAZING!
You may not be crying but I sure am - what a beautiful post - thank you so much for sharing such a personal and private time of your life - your experience will definitely help others. I love that you REMEMBERED all of the details!
Toni - thank you for sharing this beautiful post. Life gets so crazy in the day to day running but today I will remember to hug my kids a little tighter, be a little more patient and be a little more grateful for our knowledge of eternal families. Thank you.
I remember when you posted this and I was only 8 weeks pregnant. I just scrolled to the pictures but couldn't bring myself to read this. I knew it would scare me. I'm glad you posted this. I know the feeling standing in the shower staring at my empty flat belly. It really is lonely. There is no other way to describe it. I don't know if you have bounced over to my friend's blog ever but I met her in the NICU. She had her twins come at 28 weeks and she lost one of them. She is an amazing woman and her blog is very inspiring. It's ourfamilywanderings.blogspot.com Thanks for sharing this! We really are similar.. I remember some of those same things..
What beautiful baby boys and what a beautiful brave post.
Thanks for sharing your story! You are a strong and amazing woman! xo
Post a Comment