Thursday, March 19, 2009

My Ancestors


I have had this very large book of family names, all printed up nicely on pedigree charts, that was given to me several years ago. It is all about my Grandma Van Meir (maiden name Purvis) side of the family. My grandma's father had 11 brothers and sisters, and the book is about them and all of their lineage. It goes back very, very far. The oldest date in there is 1070. Can you believe that??? The woman who put it together worked very hard. I don't even know who she is. Some distant relative. But, she will be getting a thank you note from me.

Anyway, the coolest thing happened. First of all, I found out that a large line of the Purvis family has already had their temple work done for them. How awesome is that??? And the second thing is that while doing this, I was also playing around on ancestry.com. I put in the name "Van Meir" (my mom's maiden name) as I have no clue about that side of the family. Well, I came across a LARGE Van Meir family tree put together by someone named Shelene Lee. I saw my grandpa's name on this tree. I emailed her and told her who I was, blah, blah, blah, and asked how she is related to the Van Meirs. Turns out that we share the same great, great, great grandparents!!! She and I are 3rd cousins. And, to top that off with a cherry....she lives in UTAH, and is MORMOM!! Holy cow! I'm not the only Mormon in my family!!!! We've been emailing back and forth for a few days now, and it's been so fun getting to know her. Now, I have one more reason to take a trip to Utah. So, Ryan & Christi, if that offer still stands, you may be seeing us soon!!!

4 Say what?:

Susie said...

I'm so happy for you - it is so fun to find family through genealogy - I love it!!

Bonnie said...

OH my gosh Toni that is so cool! I'll have to tell my dad because my dad is just now getting started on our family history. Actually to be honest, I'm jealous. That is an AWESOME story.

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kate said...

that's so awesome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails