Julie and her daughter, Kit.
Let me tell you a little about my friend Julie. I've known Julie since 7th grade. We went to Junior High together, and then on to High School. We had a slight rivalry when it came to the boys, but we were always friends. We didn't keep in touch after high school, but I remember seeing Julie at our 10 year reunion. She was very pregnant with her first child and looked adorable. (There is something so beautiful about a very pregnant woman. I loved it.) I said to Hugh after the reunion..."I think I had the most fun visiting with Julie D." She turned into a wonderul woman.
Soon after our reunion, I found out that Julie had cancer. Hodgkin's Lymphoma, I believe. She was only 28, maybe 29. And she had just given birth to her son. She started chemo and radiation. She lost her hair. Actually, her hair started falling out and so she and her husband watched "GI Jane" with Demi Moore for inspiration (remember when Demi shaved her head in the movie??) and then they shaved Julie's head. I can't imagine doing that. Just that alone had to take so much strength and courage.
She was told she would never have any more children. She proved them wrong when she found out she was pregnant with her daughter. She eventually was told she was in remission.
Julie is Griffin's "Birth Mom". And because of that, she will always be a part of our family. I'll never forget that she allowed us to bring Griffin home when we needed him so much. He helped our family heal after the loss of our sweet Chelsea.
Julie knew there was a possiblity that some form of cancer would return. And that came true just a few months ago. Thyroid cancer. She had her thyroid removed, and had some treatment done. It has been a very rough couple of months for her. She's bummed that they lack of a tyroid has caused her to gain some weight, and says that is harder to kick than cancer!! Always funny. And, let me tell you, she has the most amazing friends and family rallying for her, and it is so beautiful to see.
Julie...just a few minutes ago....posted this on her status on Facebook:
"CANCER FREE! I'm FAT...and HAPPY!"
I stated bawling. I just can't imagine going through cancer TWICE at such a young age. And all the while, being a wife and a mother. Just can't imagine.
Julie is my hero. I think she is one of the strongest, most courageous women I have EVER known. It is an HONOR to call her my friend.
Julie...that t-shirt is coming your way. I love you.



5 Say what?:
Very sweet post Toni. You really are a GREAT friend to so many people. I really admire you. I feel that it is an honor to call you my friend.
I can't believe I made your BLOG. I feel like it's my 10 minutes of fame! You know how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog. I want mine to look and sound as inspiring as yours! WOW! I read this with tears in my eyes for many many reasons because you have such a way with words that are felt to the heart! Also, because you remember my story almost better than me. I never think of being strong or courageous but more unlucky or some seriously bad genes! :) I've come to realize that everyone has a story and that it makes us who we are...we can make the outcome good or bad. Toni you have a story that in my world makes you the strongest, most courageous...two Angels watching over you and your family and your outcome is marvelous to me and inspiring! Blessed with your friendship! julie xoxo
Julie...you just made me cry again. You are right. We ALL have a story. And I think each of us can learn from each other, and we can gain strength from each other's experiences. I know I've learned from you. You handle your trials with such grace and dignity. And humor. And that is a great combination. Love you.
And, if you want help prettying up you blog, just holler. I'm here.
Toni & Julie: You both are amazing beautiful women! Love to you both!
I just love reading your blogs!!! BTW~ Happy 40th birthday! I'm so glad it was AWESOME for you! I loved hearing about Julie. Thank you for sharing! You both are amazing. Julie is an inspiration! I love reading her status' on facebook! I heard about her cancer way back when, when I discovered that Carrie White went to our church. She told me about Julie and I started praying for her. I always wondered how Julie was doing after I lost contact with Carrie. I'm just thrilled to see her now! I'm so sorry about thyroid cancer. I'm thrilled about how she deals with it graciously!! She is truly inspiring us all who are watching her life! Thanks for sharing, Toni! Hugs!
Post a Comment