It was Thanksgiving, 1991. I came home from school. I went and watched Hugh play in a Turkey Bowl. I gave him a NAU hat. He didn't say thank you. That night, we went to a hockey game. When he dropped me off at home, he apologized for not thanking me for the hat. He apologized for taking our friendship for granted. He left. The next night, November 29, 1991, I went to the Arizona Center to a going away party for my friend Cami (the Homecoming Attendant from my first post on this story!!). Now, remember, I was a Mormon at this time for about 3 weeks. And I was at a bar. Kind of funny. Anyway, while we were there, I had several people tell me that they saw Hugh there. No way! Hugh doesn't go to bars!!! But he was there. Looking for me! He found me, and offered to drive me home. My house keys were in my brother's car, and my brother was no where to be found, so I was basically locked out of my house. We walked out to the parking lot. It started to rain so Hugh put his jacket around my shoulders. He picked me up and swung me around in a very romantic sort of way. Seriously! What was up with him? He never did this sort of stuff with me because he knew any sort of affection he showed towards me I would dissect to find the hidden meaning. So, Hugh drove me to his house so I could call my mom and tell her to unlock to the door. She wasn't home. (She was still paying cards at her friend's house!!) So, I was stranded at Hugh's. Darn it! He turned on some music. He turned down the lights. He told me that he had been thinking about me a lot. Wait a minute! Hold the phone!!!! I actually got mad. I said "Hugh, you know how I feel about you. I would marry you today if you asked me to. DO NOT SCREW AROUND WITH ME!!!" And then, he did it. He kissed me. A big, romantic, feel it in your toes kiss. I couldn't believe it. I knew he cared about me too much as his friend to just kiss me just because he wanted to kiss. I almost cried. I knew this meant something. Something serious. He drove me home and asked me not to tell anyone. He wanted it to be a secret. Uh...ok..yea right! I IMMEDIATELY told my mom. And my girlfriends the next day. They were not happy because they thought I was going to get hurt. I could understand their fear, but I knew this was different. Hugh and I went out the next night, and let me tell you, I have NEVER felt butterflies like I did when he held my hand that night. It made me dizzy! We spent as much time together over those next few days as we could before I went back to school for finals. I left on a Sunday. The following Tuesday, at about 2am, my phone rang in my dorm room. It was Hugh's mom, Pam. She was crying. I thought Hugh was dead, seriously. I thought "I finally got him and now he's dead!!!". Why else would she be calling in tears? Well, she calmed down enough to tell me that she and Hugh had just had a very long conversation, and he told her that he loved me and wanted to marry me.
WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY????? MARRY ME???????????
One of our first official dates....the Phoenix Zoo.




2 Say what?:
Come on, finish the story! I remember this like it was yesterday. So fun reliving the romance. And look how great it has all turned out.
I'm really confused??? Why is Pam calling, has she ever heard the word "SPOILER"???
Post a Comment