Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Special Delivery Part 2

I went back to the dr. on Monday, November 20 (that, I do remember) and they told me that my levels dropped and that I was going to miscarry. What?? So, I had to just sit and wait for the bleeding to start...and it did. And there went my pregnancy. Back to the beginning. I hated it. I was so mad. Why couldn't I get pregnant? Why could EVERYONE else around me get pregnant? I was a WOMAN and this is what I'm SUPPOSED to be able to do! It SUCKED!!!!! I used that word a lot back then. We knew that the next step would be In Vitro. (And thankfully, my medical insurance covered it. I know...never heard of that before! It was a miracle, I assure you.) We did the first egg retrieval in January 1996. They retrieved 40 eggs from me. A huge number of eggs. And because of that large amount of opened egg follicles, my body decided to produce a bunch of fluid that started to fill up my belly. We went in for the egg transfer 3 days after the retrieval (while this fluid was still hanging out in there) and they transfered 5 (yes, 5) fertilized embryos. I went home to hang out in my bed for the required 3 days of rest. I wasn't going to argue with that! I remember being able to finally get up on day 4 and we were supposed to speak at church on day 5. Well, I woke up on day 5 and was incredibly sick. Throwing up about every 15 minutes. And my belly was so swollen. I knew that the throwing up was not good for these little embryos who were trying to take their place in my uterus!!! We went to the doctor on day 6, and they did an ultrasound and found this fluid in my abdomen. They drained 28 ounces out of me! (I won't tell you how they did it, but let me just say it required some serious drugs!!!) Then I went home to recover and to wait 9 more days to find out if I was pregnant. Let me tell you, the 2 weeks from the time of the embryo transfer until the time you find out if you are pregnant is the LONGEST TWO WEEKS EVER!!! Anyone who has ever been through this will back me up on that. Well, the next 9 days passed as slow as molasses and guess what? No pregnancy. I was devasted, but not surprised given the trauma my body went through right after the transfer. We had to wait a month before we tried another transfer. So, after a short break, we went back and this time we got pregnant. With Austin & Spencer. I've already told that story, so I'm not going to repeat myself. If you want to be filled in, go here. Horrible and devastating outcome, but I did get pregnant. That was a good thing. We did it once, and we knew could do it again.

Photobucket


2 Say what?:

Molly said...

I am loving reading this, I ahve never heard the whole stary. How long do I need to wait for part 3???

kate said...

i SO love learning about your experiences. you have a lot to share with others, and i love that you're willing to do it. i bet it helps more people than you'll ever realize...thanks for sharing so candidly! (and i LOVED what you did for the twins' birthday-i'm SO stealing that idea someday!!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails